Project Manager Sappi Khulisa
- BTech in Forestry
Forestry career: 13 years
As a project manager for Sappi Khulisa, I manage timber supply agreements with external suppliers including individual timber growers and Trusts/co-operatives to develop and enhance sustainable forestry enterprises for the supply of wood fibre into Sappi markets.
The role involves:
- Managing all timber supply contracts with timber suppliers viz forestry enterprise development agreements FEDA and Khulisa agreements in line with the entailed contractual terms to ensure sustainable timber supply into various Sappi markets; and economic and skills growth to timber suppliers
- Ensuring knowledge transfer to supplier/contractors and support the development of local enterprises and suppliers, identify potential and engage in the training to ensure effective development and sustainable growth of the rural economy
- Educating suppliers on markets’ requirements and monitor adherence to standards, policies and procedures to ensure mutual benefit
- Developing supplier technical and economic independence, get suppliers actively involved in the running of their affairs and encourage saving attitude to ensure continuity
- Establishing an accurate base rate for payment of harvesting and transport contractors through engagement with relevant key role players to establish a fair rate and mutual inclusive growth
- Maintaining supplier loyalty through regular planned site visitations, give technical advice; counsel and keep supplier informed of industry/organisational changes competition activity
WHY I LOVE WORKING IN THE FORESTRY SECTOR
Forestry gives me a platform to change people’s livelihood, contribute to rural development, assist people on building their legacy while they do forestry business on their land, and also fulfil my forestry passion while working with people.
MY ADVICE TO THOSE EXPLORING A CAREER IN FORESTRY
Forestry is a sustainable career that will be there from generation to generation. Because females can nurture children, which is the same skill required for growing plants, and they have the patience and the ability to pay attention to detail and to provide leadership, these are all characteristics which lead to doing well in this field. Even though you have to be hands-on when it comes to operations, one can still look beautiful!